I've been been slowly working away on the t-shirt quilt. My previous post about the quilt is the second most popular on this blog after the one about flapjacks. Kinda makes me wonder why two of my non-knitting posts are the most popular? I won't dwell on it... really.
So, I've been slogging away on my quilt, which has involved attempting to measure and cut the t-shirts into reasonably rectangular pieces using only a plain ruler and a fabric pencil.
And dealing with t-shirts which, once they'd had their interfacing ironed on, weren't quite square.
Thankfully, a friend lent me a rotary cutter, self-healing mat, and see-through ruler. I cut all my t-shirt rectangles out at her house, then painstakingly calculated the sashing so that each square would be 16" - plus seam allowances. See, usually when you make a t-shirt quilt you cut all the t-shirts the same size. I have been randomly cutting out t-shirt fronts for the past six years without regard to their size, so I had a bit of a pickle to deal with.
I cut and cut and cut. Booring. And finally, last week, I began to sew.
*rip rip rip*
Today I ran out of thread, but I got this far:
And all the squares are sashed. Time to start thinking about backing fabric...