frog princess header 750

Sunday 20 May 2007

Cable-Eight: Your roots are showing

Pattern: Cable-Eight, Interweave Knits, Spring 2005
Yarn: 4 balls Lion Brand Cotton-Ease in discontinued colourway "Candy Blue"
Needles: US size 11

Pattern modifications: Scads. See below!

cableeight

On the left we see the original pattern photo. This is two rectangles knitted then crocheted together. This seems seriously lazy to me, and from pics on other people's blogs, results in lots of folding and buckling at the waist. Yuk!

On the right is a nice photo of Cable-Eight looking rather bustier-like, and flattering in its own way.

Cable-Eight side view

Here we've got the side shaping with converging and diverging ribs. OK, they're not the prettiest increases, but there's not a whole lot you can do at such a huge gauge!

And then I finished it a month ago... and I hated it! It's sort of bulky and weird, and even armhole and neck shaping I added were not enough to keep me from looking a lot like a linebacker. I must admit, however, that it looks better when not worn over a t-shirt. :)

Cable-Eight Front

Here's the artistic front shot. I am still going to rip out the front and re-do the neckline, so ignore my dangling ends. What should it be... V-neck? Scoop? I think I'll be going with the latter.

Cable-Eight Back

And the back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the neckline might not be faboo as is, but the colour is great on you.
I vote scoop - it works better with the organic shapes of the cables.

Sock Pal

Anonymous said...

Hey Ellen

- I think it suits you actually!! Would agree with your sock pal, though, scoop neck would look nice.

Helen x