frog princess header 750

Friday 18 April 2008

not a mermaid, a selkie...

Ever since I saw the pattern for DROPS 106-1 pleated jacket, knitted from side to side in garter st in “Alpaca” and “Cotton Viscose”, I knew I wanted to knit it. It's a lot like Hanne Falkenberg's Mermaid, but less fussy AND I can choose the colours AND it won't cost an arm and a leg. Except, the name is much too long and not descriptive, so I've decided to call this project Selkie, after the women/seals of Scottish lore. Except I want it to be red, so it's nothing like a seal. Let's ignore that fact.

The hardest part of the project has been choosing yarn. I've trolled the internet for everything in the appropriate weight, and it was all either too expensive or had the wrong colour range; I've come full circle to the DROPS Alpaca.

Then there's planning how to use the colours - three reds and a light grey. Here are my choices...

A:selkie1

B:selkie3

C:selkie2

Any preferences? I was leaning towards C, but now I might be keener on B. Hmmm....

I've just added option D which goes ofr both the optically slimming and the colour prgression angles...

D:selkie4

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My initial leaning is toward B, but I think C would look excellent as well!

Anonymous said...

I'd go for D! I prefer the brown as the main colour over the brick red. It looks great; I love Drops patterns & I'll look forward to seeing this one progress!

jacicita said...

ooh, i want to knit that too. someday.

I CAN'T DECIDE.

i think d. with b a close second.

http://seenonflickr.wordpress.com/ said...

Oh, gorgeous, regardless of the colour pattern.

I think I like C best, but they would all look lovely.

Felicity Ford said...

I like B!
I think this design is going to be bee-ooo-ti-ful on you
xxx
I like B because, thinking of you and how you look, I just think the dark shape your luscious hair makes around your face would look good with the dark section of the sweater going right down the middle. I think it would all balance out gorgeously.

xxx

Felicity Ford said...

...after a quick re-read I like D best because, as you point out, the slimming dark central panel (supergorgeous with you and your hair) is matched with pleasing colour progressions... I like how it goes to bright red at the sides.

On balance i think I like D best!

Unknown said...

D. doo eet.

-emilie